Using PayPal on a bingo or casino site
PayPal might be one of the most widely used and recognised payment methods in the whole world, let alone for online bingo players. For that reason, you'll find PayPal is available at most of the best online casino sites on the internet. The company was founded in 1998 as Confinity, which developed security software, before merging with Elon Musk’s X.com in 2001 to become the PayPal we know today.
Paypal became a trusted household name due to being owned and used by eBay, making it easy for millions of people to pay for items and receive payment for the things they sold. You may already have a PayPal account, but why should you use it to deposit on a bingo or casino site?
Why deposit with PayPal?
Near instant withdrawals
It can take up to 10 working days to withdraw funds to your bank account, so cutting this delay by using PayPal is a huge appeal. However, not all bingo and casino sites will offer instant withdrawals, so check the terms before hitting the deposit button.
A service you know and trust
Depositing at a new online gambling site can be unnerving if you’re unfamiliar with the operator or network. Seeing a well-known logo like PayPal can increase your confidence in the security of a bingo site.
All reputable eWallets have sophisticated security systems to keep your data safe and PayPal is no exception. Its data encryption, fraud protection and dedicated dispute process make it a very safe and secure payment method to use
100% free to use
When you compare its costs to other eWallets like Neteller or Skrill, PayPal’s a clear winner. While others charge up to 7.5% to withdraw your casino balance, PayPal is completely free to use for native currency transactions.
PayPal compatible gambling sites are mostly likely to be reliable and licensed by the UK Gambling Commission
PayPal is very strict about which websites can use its services, particularly gambling brands. Therefore, if you see the PayPal logo on a bingo or casino site, you can be confident that it’s legitimate and fully licensed by the UKGC because securing a partnership is difficult for operators.
It’s easy and convenient to use
You don’t need your bank card to hand if you want to play. Your PayPal email address and password are all you need to make a deposit, meaning you don’t need to enter your long 16 digit number every time. If you’re out and about, topping up your wallet is simple and hassle-free. You can even do it all via the mobile app, making playing at mobile casino sites easy.
You may not be elligible for a welcome bonus
Some online bingo or casino sites may not offer a bingo welcome bonus to people who deposit using PayPal, so before you sign up and deposit it's worth reading the terms and conditions for the welcome offer that you want to claim.
Limits & transaction fees
PayPal is free to use for anyone looking to spend money online, request refunds, receive withdrawals or send cash to a friend, unless a transaction involves a currency conversion.
The minimum and maximum PayPal transaction limits vary between casinos and slots brands, but most are the same as a site’s other payment methods.
In the past, some casinos charged you to deposit or withdraw using a PayPal account, probably because it’s expensive to integrate its services. It’s rare that you’ll now find a casino that adds transaction fees, but still check before depositing to avoid any unwanted charges.
Player safety & security
PayPal is famous for its security – it’s one of the main reasons millions of people trust and use it worldwide. PayPal encrypts your information to stop unauthorised access your data. Depositing using PayPal allows you to play bingo and slot games online without ever giving your sensitive payment details to a gambling operator/vendor, so you can play with peace of mind.
All transactions are monitored to help prevent fraud or identity theft with alerts triggered if any ‘suspicious’ activity is spotted on your account. You’re not liable for any unauthorised transactions made on your account and should always report them immediately.
Thanks to PayPal’s strict guidelines, only reputable sites are allowed to use its services. It’s particularly careful about the online gambling brands it works with, therefore it’s a positive indicator of high security when an online casino supports PayPal payments.
PayPal also offers Buyer Protection, which covers users when there is a problem with a purchased item - if an item doesn’t arrive or isn’t as described, for example. PayPal will reimburse you the full purchase price (plus shipping) if you open a dispute in its dedicated Resolution Centre and your transaction is eligible.
Unfortunately, PayPal’s Buyer Protection service doesn’t extend to casinos as it excludes “gambling, gaming, and/or any activity involving a chance to win a prize.”
How to create a PayPal account
- Creating a PayPal account is free and easy and there are no charges for using the service inside the UK
- Visit the PayPal website or download the app.Click ‘Sign up’ and choose a personal account.
- Enter your information including your name, email address and create a strong password.
- Continue to add your address, DOB and phone number.
- Add your bank account, debit or credit card details. You can choose to enter the information right away or later, however, it’s needed to verify your account.
- You’ll then be charged £1 to your payment method and a 4-digit code will appear on your bank statement. Enter this to verify the account and refund the £1.
- Finally, once you have filled out the form with all of the correct details, confirm your email address. (If you can’t find the confirmation email, check your junk folder).
How to deposit using PayPal
- Go to your chosen bingo or casino site and click deposit.
- Choose to add a new payment method and select PayPal.
- Decide how much you want to deposit, you’ll then be taken to the PayPal login screen.
- Enter your email and password and confirm your payment.
For more information about signing up and using PayPal to pay for things online, visit the PayPal website.
Our favourite PayPal bingo site
Sun Bingo is highly regarded in the online bingo world, and it's easy to see why. The site boasts a wide variety of bingo rooms and slot games from providers including NetEnt and Blueprint as well as regular promotions. To check out the current welcome offer, read our full Sun Bingo review.
Our favourite PayPal casino site
PlayOJO is one of the most popular online casinos in the UK! The site offers hundreds of games from slots to live casino and exciting promotions for new and existing players and claims to be "the fairest online casino in the UK". To check out the current welcome offer, read our full PlayOJO review.
Alternative payment methods
- Apple Pay offers an easy payment method or iPhone or iPad users with the added security of biometric authentication. However, Apple Pay is not a true eWallet solution as you cannot use it to withdraw. Read our Apple Pay payment guide.
- Paysafecard is a pre-paid voucher payment method that lets you deposit on your favourite sites without ever passing your payment details to a third party. Be aware that there are a few frustrating restrictions when withdrawing. Read our Paysafecard payment guide.
- Pay by mobile and add your deposits to next month's phone bill. Quick and convenient, though will need to add another payment method in order to withdraw your winnings.
- Neteller is an eWallet that works just like PayPal, however it comes with a catch. Neteller transactions, both withdrawals and deposits, all come with a small fee that may be off putting to many players. Read our Neteller payment guide.
- Skrill's eWallet solution is fast, easy to use and secure. However, convenience comes at a cost as withdrawals to a bank account come with a fee of up to 7.5%! Read our Skrill payment guide.
- Boku is one of the most well known Pay by Phone payment methods. Quick and secure, it is a popular choice, though you can't withdraw using Boku. Read our Boku payment guide.